Given most of us spend long hours on our feet every day, heel pain is not an uncommon condition. Fortunately, the foot doctors at Cascade Foot Center in Salem, OR, have tips for finding relief from your heel pain so you can get back on your feet quickly and comfortably.
What is causing my heel pain?
From the shoes you wear to your exercise habits, many things can contribute to foot pain. Here are some of the potential causes:
- Standing for long periods of time
- Having tight calf muscles
- Being overweight or obese
- Having flat feet
- Having high arches
- Wearing poorly fitting, high heeled, or unsupportive shoes
- Engaging in activities, such as running or jumping rope, that put extra pressure on the feet
What are the signs I need treatment for my heel pain?
If you are experiencing one or more of the following, you should seek treatment for you foot pain:
- Mild to severe pain on your heel
- Swelling of your heel
- Stiffness in your heel
- Pain that is worse in the morning
- Pain that increases during exercise, long periods of standing, or when carrying heavy items
How can I find relief from my heel pain?
Depending on the cause and severity of your heel pain, a foot doctor at our Salem office may recommend one or more of the following:
- Icing the heel of the foot and surrounding area
- Wearing well-fitting, supportive shoes
- Putting orthotics or inserts in your shoes
- Physical therapy
- Cortisone injections
- Wearing a splint or brace during sleep
- Losing weight
- Abstaining from running, jumping or other activities that inflict extra pressure on the foot
- Trying an over-the-counter oral pain reliever
- Stretching your arches
Schedule an appointment with a foot doctor at our Salem office by calling 503-588-8188.