Your foot doctors in Salem, OR, can help you get relief from an ingrown toenail.
Have you ever had an ingrown toenail? If so, you already know how uncomfortable it can be. The truth is, an ingrown toenail can make even the most basic movements like walking and standing, difficult and painful.
Your foot doctor has several effective treatments that can help you and your toes feel better. Dr. Trevor Tippets, Dr. James Lisle, and Dr. Bryce Rich of Cascade Foot Center in Salem, OR, offer comprehensive foot care services, including treatment for an ingrown toenail.
An ingrown toenail is easy to detect. Your toe becomes red or purple and swollen from your toenail growing into the surrounding skin. You may even see blood or pus underneath your toenail or coming out from underneath your nail.
Ingrown toenails have several causes, including if you:
- Have toenails that naturally curl under
- Are cutting your toenails too short
- Are wearing shoes that don’t have enough room for your toes
- Have experienced an injury to your toes
- Are experiencing a fungal or bacterial toenail infection
If you want to prevent ingrown toenails, one of the best things you can do is switch to shoes with a wide toe box, so your toes have plenty of room and don’t get crushed. Also, remember to cut your toenails straight across and avoid cutting your toenails too short.
You can try these at-home tips to get relief from an ingrown toenail:
- Soak your toe every day in warm water
- Place a piece of dental floss underneath your toenail to lift it up off of your skin
- Switch to open-toed shoes so your toe can heal
For moderate to severe ingrown toenails, you should seek out the help of your foot doctor. Professional treatments for an ingrown toenail include:
- Topical antibiotic cream to clear up an infection
- Oral antibiotics to eliminate the infection
- Removing the ingrown section of your toenail
- Surgically removing the entire toenail to promote healthy growth of a new toenail
You don’t have to suffer from ingrown toenail pain; you can get relief. To find out more about causes and treatments of ingrown toenails and other footcare services, call Dr. Tippets, Dr. Lisle, and Dr. Rich of Cascade Foot Center in Salem, OR, at (503) 588-8188 today!